Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen
Thank you for coming to celebrate our national day – Australia Day – which actually falls on 26 January.
For Australians, it’s a day when we celebrate our achievements as a nation – but equally important, it’s a day to get together with friends and families to enjoy each other’s company and the great Australian lifestyle.
In Australia - where it is currently the height of summer – this often means a barbeque outdoors, perhaps a cool glass of Australian wine or beer, and sport – kicking the football around with friends at a park; cricket on the beach with strangers; a game of tennis with your neighbours; or possibly a round of golf with some overseas visitors.
现在，澳大利亚正好是盛夏：我们在户外吃烧烤，喝冰镇葡萄酒、 啤酒；在公园里跟朋友踢足球；在沙滩上跟路人打板球；也可以跟邻居 打网球，或者跟外国友人打一局高尔夫。
A love of sport – not just watching, but also getting out and participating in sport with others – is an important part of the Australian character. It reflects the value we place on openness and friendliness. On hard work, but also on an enjoyment of life.
We are proud, therefore, to present this Australia Day celebration with a sports theme.
Sports cooperation is a growing part of Australia’s overall relationship with southwest China. This comes on top of successful business, cultural and people-to-people cooperation.
To name just a few
- Companies such as Australia’s bionic ear company Cochlear, Goodman logistics, Costa agricultural technology group, ANZ Bank, as well as Tianqi Lithium, Hengkang Group and New Hope are examples of the successful cooperation between our two sides
- We worked to bring world-class Australian health solutions to southwest China, including by committing to establish a Chengdu-Australia Health Fund and Incubator.
- In the past year, prize-winning Australian authors toured the southwest, and we supported successful exhibitions of Australian photographers.
- We held events on women in leadership, where women’s voices were heard and stories of success were shared, be they those of joy or hardship.
- We also welcomed many senior Australian visitors to this region, which strengthened mutual understanding and built cooperation.
- 澳大利亚人工耳蜗专家- 科利耳公司，嘉民物流公司，Costa农业技术集团，澳新银行以及四川的天齐锂业， 恒康集团，新希望等都是双方成功合作的典范
- 我们把 澳大利亚先进的医疗健康产业引入西南地区，也期待跟成都市共建中澳大健康基金和孵化器
The progress in our ties with the southwest has been matched by positive momentum in our bilateral relationship at the national level.
Over the past few months, our Trade, Tourism and Investment Minister led over 200 Australian companies to participate in the inaugural China International Import Expo in Shanghai.
China and Australia’s foreign ministers have met twice, including in Beijing two months ago.
And Prime Minister Morrison met both Premier Li Keqiang for our Annual Leaders’ Meeting and President Xi Jinping at APEC.
Building on this momentum, 2019 promises to be a very productive year for Australia-China relations, and particularly for our relations with southwest China.
We have exciting and ambitious plans for new cultural activities, new commercial and economic partnerships, and new linkages at the government level.
We’re looking forward to working closely with our local partners to bring these plans to fruition, together with our ‘Team Australia’ agencies in southwest China, including the Australian Trade and Investment Commission, the Victorian State Government, Trade and Investment Queensland, Tourism Australia, Destination NSW, Australian Chamber of Commerce West China and TAFE Queensland.
澳大利亚驻西南团队，包括澳大利亚贸易投资 委员会、维多利亚州、昆士兰州政府、澳大利亚旅游局、新南威尔士州旅游局、澳大利亚商会华西分会和昆士兰职业培训厅，期待着与大家 精诚 合作，携手共进。
I want to thank our generous supporters of tonight’s event, including AustCham West China, Tennis Australia and Luzhou Laojiao, Sichuan Airlines, Port Adelaide Football Club, Deakin University, International Golf Academy Australia, The Australian Movement, Grand Hyatt hotel, Morish Wines, Jingong Wines, and our beer sponsor 31 Jiu.
As you will have seen on your way in, we are lucky to have a number of interactive displays where you can try your hand at sports like AFL, golf and tennis, supported by our sponsors.
Thank you all again for coming to celebrate our national day with us.
I’d also like to wish you a Happy Lunar New Year
May you have the best of luck in the Year of the Pig
May your life be filled with joy and laughter
May you always have good fortune!