Australian Consulate-General
Chengdu, China

General Information on Marriage

Overseas Marriage

Geting married overseas

A marriage that is performed legally in China will be recognised by law in Australia , provided that the marriage would also be recognised under Australian law.

Once you are married in China , the Chinese authorities will issue an official Chinese marriage certificate. You do not need to register your marriage again in Australia . However if you intend to use your marriage certificate in Australia , you should contact the Chinese Public Notary Office to arrange for an official notarised translation of the certificate.

All enquiries about taking your partner back to Australia should be directed to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).